Pay Range: $79,702 or higher depending on education and experience
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Position Summary: Reporting to the Vice Provost for Student Affairs & Dean of Students, the Executive Director is responsible for the overall direction, administration, fiscal accountability, risk management, policies and leadership for Recreation and Wellbeing. The Executive Director has responsibility for the oversight of programs and services that provide student development and leadership programs that will assist with student retention and success both in and out of the classroom setting. This is accomplished by providing leadership the Student Recreation Center (SRC) facility and operations, Intramural Sports (50), Club Sports (24), Health & Wellness Education Programs, Outdoor Programs, University Spirit Squad, Vandal Ventures, Marketing and Health Promotions, Alcohol and Other Drug Education, Mental Health outreach, nutrition and outdoor recreational facilities. The Executive Director will also engage in long-range planning, program development and enhancements for the unit. The Executive Director will administer the procurement of fitness and capital equipment, furniture, and fixtures and asset management. The Executive Director oversees professional staff, works to establish a collaborative environment within the unit internally and externally, partnering with Student Affairs departments, other university departments, and off-campus constituents. The Executive Director will supervise 15 to 20 staff and approximately 150 student employees, which are part of Campus Recreation and Vandal Health Education. The Executive Director will also fill a key position on the Executive Leadership Team for Student Affairs, working collaboratively with other Executive Team members and campus partners for the development of division/campus initiatives that positively impact the student experience.
This is an essential position that will be called upon in the event of an emergency and/or university closure.
Minimum Qualifications: - Master’s Degree in Recreation Administration, Business Administration, Sports Management, Higher education administration, Leadership, or related field. - Five years progressively responsible experience in administration and supervision, preferably in campus recreation, of student affairs programs and professional staff, fiscal and facility management.
- Experience developing and managing complex operating budgets.
- Experience in evaluation and assessment methods; strategic planning; and, safety and risk management.
- Experience in developing, recommending, and evaluating program procedures and recommending change.
Preferred Qualifications: - Ph.D., or equivalent, in Recreational Sports Administration, Public Health, Physical Education, Higher Education Administration, or related field.
- Excellent leadership and supervision skills.
- Demonstrated comprehensive understanding of student development theory, current best practices in Campus Recreation, Health and Wellness and Student Affairs, educational programming related to student leadership development and student retention.
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills, including strong consultative and collaborative skills; excellent presentation and writing skills, and proactive and responsive interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to work as part of, and lead a collaborative, professional team.
- Innovative spirit and enthusiasm.
- Ability to relate effectively to all members of the University community, with an appreciation for cultural, ethnic, and individual differences.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
Posting Number: SP002870P
Posting Date: 06/16/2021
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions: Please provide a cover letter/letter of application, a resume/CV and a list of 3 references.
This position is open until filled, however applications received by midnight PST on Friday, July 16, 2021 will receive first consideration.
Background Check: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.