Location: San Jose, California
Type: Full Time
Salary: $70,125 - $94,875
Internal Number: Job ID: 278
Job Title: Manager, Bowling Center
Department: SU Operations
Supervisor: Associate Executive Director
Location: Student Union Administration
Classification Title: Full-time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Compensation - Hourly Rate: $70,125 – $94,875
How To Apply
Must submit an application, resume and cover letter to Student Union Inc. of SJSU website to apply.
The Student Union, Inc. is 501(c)(3) nonprofit auxiliary that maintains three major facilities at San José State University in downtown San José, California. These facilities include the Diaz Compean Student Union Building, the Provident Credit Union Event Center, and the Spartan Recreation and Aquatic Center. The Student Union, Inc. functions as part of the Student Affairs Division on campus, and is governed by a Board of Directors made up of a student majority, faculty, and administrators.
The Student Union, Inc. of San Jose State University supports the development, growth, and well-being of students and the campus community by providing diverse programs, desired services, and quality facilities to enhance the collegiate experience.
Manager responsibilities include but not limited to managing people, establish policies, manage daily operations and meet financial goals of the bowling center. Under general supervision of the Associate Executive Director, responsible for the day to day operation of the Bowling Center.
Essential Functions and Tasks
- Develop financial operational plans/budgets and monitor their performance to achieve center’s financial goals. Review and control labor costs and other expenses.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of bowling center, scheduling, planning, and collaboration with partners.
- Oversees and monitors all daily cash and financial transactions associated with the Bowling Center and Brunswick Sync POS systems.
- Manage Brunswick GS pinsetters maintenance and requirements for the center.
- Recruits, hires, train, and supervise Bowling Center students and part time personnel.
- Develops a process for accountability and comprehensive staff training for all aspects of the Bowling Center operation.
- Ensures all staff certifications are valid and current. Maintain accurate records of all staff certifications with SU Human Resources.
- Responsible for safety and emergency training for employees and the development of safety and emergency policies and procedures consistent with The Student Union and the University.
- Oversees scheduling of regular programming and special events and provides the necessary support for these activities. Support to include equipment set up and strike, staffing and cleaning.
- Develops customer service standards and ensures consistent performance by full-time, student, and part-time staff. Standards to be consistent with those set by the Student Union.
- Develops and adheres to the Bowling Center revenue and expense budgets.
- Coordinates facility maintenance with Building Services Engineer.
- Responsible for cleanliness of the facility.
- Develops and implements marketing strategies, coordinates programs, and schedules facility for us by campus and outside groups, including collaboration with the Kinesiology Department for bowling class instruction.
- Ensures that student assessment is conducted annually with all student staff within areas of responsibility, and that the student assessment is tied to the goals of the university and the learning outcome of the Student Affairs Division.
- Assists in identifying and coordinating improvement and renovation projects.
- This position must be available to work days, nights, weekends and holidays.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- A strong understanding of Bowling Center operations, systems, and equipment.
- Demonstrated supervisory or management experience including selecting, training, coordinating, evaluating, and supervising student employees.
- Demonstrated experience in organizing, prioritizing, and coordinating work activities in a customer service setting.
- Collaborative partner with various campus departments to support success of the Bowling Center.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Understanding and commitment to customer service.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize and prioritize daily activity.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and coordinate programs.
- Demonstrated ability to develop budgets and to perform administrative and financial functions in support of the operation.
- Experience in computer applications such as: Google Suite (Gmail, Docs, Slides, Sheets, Forms, etc.) Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person or on the telephone
- Dexterity of hands, fingers, and wrist to operate a computer keyboard and calculator
- Seeing to read a variety of materials
- Sitting or standing for extended period of time
- Physical agility to lift, carry, push, or pull objects frequently 10-25lbs, occasionally 26-50lbs.
- The typical schedule is 10 a.m. – 7 p.m., Tuesday – Saturday. The schedule will vary, based on operational needs of the Bowling Center, which functions 7 days a week during the semester.
- Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in a closely related field or an AA degree with 4 years of bowling facility management experience.
- 5 years’ supervisory experience with part time staff and full time staff.
- Brunswick Operator Certification or comparable certification
- Current CPR/First Aid and AED certifications required or must be obtained within the first month of employment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Sports/Recreation Management or similar field preferred, with a minimum of 2 years of bowling facility management experience.
- Certification and/or Training, GS-Series Pinsetter Maintenance School
- Experience within a university community, including student unions, student activities, and residence life or student development.
- Experience in a large, non-profit corporation.
- Involvement in professional societies and organizations.
This position is employed through Student Union at San Jose State University which offers an excellent benefits package including Medical, Dental & Vision insurance (fully paid on selected packages by the company for the employee and dependents), Life and Supplemental Insurance, Vacation, Sick Leave, paid Holidays, 403(b) retirement program, tuition reimbursement, employee development opportunities and more.
CSU COVID Policy
Employees must comply with the CSU Vaccination Policy ID #11030468 and SJSU Presidential Directive upon hiring. This policy requires that students, faculty and staff remain current on vaccination and boosters for which they are eligible or qualify for an Exemption from the vaccine requirement based on medical or religious exemption.
Commitment to the Student Union, Inc. Core Competencies
- Fiscal Management - Conducts operations in a fiscally sound manner while contributing to the budget process. Maintaining efficient and effective budget reconciliations and may pull data for reporting purposes. Understands implications of budget and makes recommendations for solutions.
- Leadership & Supervision - Partners with team members or leads internal teams to maintain effective work relationships with people from diverse backgrounds; Maintains dignity and self-control in difficult situations; Supervisory responsibilities may include planning, assigning, and directing work; resolving issues in a way consistent with corporate policies
- Productivity and Quality of Work - Strives for accuracy and thoroughness; displays commitment to excellence and customer service; looks for ways to improve and promote quality within own work; applies feedback from manager and others to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Communication and Collaboration – Acts & behaves in a manner that reflects respect, courtesy and civility, appreciation, empathy, trust, inclusion and consultation. Establishes and maintains effective work relationships; Understands lines of reporting, responsibility, and accountability.
- Diversity, Inclusion and Interaction - Values and respects diversity and individual uniqueness and recognizes the strength these factors bring to the Student Union and SJSU community and learning environment.
- Planning and Results - Works on activities to meet Student Union priorities and timelines; works with manager to prioritizes multiple demands for commitment of time, energy and resources; adapts to changing priorities, situations and demands; integrates changes to support the business.
- Creativity and Innovation - Works with manager to engage in creative problem solving; thinks “globally”; receives suggestions on how to re-engineer processes; is open and receptive to change and new ideas within the guidelines of the institution.
- Compliance for Law, Policies and Codes, and Issues Related to Safety and Risk - Adheres to compliance laws, policies and codes related to not- for-profit corporations, facility safety and concerns, as well as state and CSU mandates. Implements procedures to identify and correct potentially hazardous or unsafe working conditions. Mitigates risk where appropriate through knowledge of policies and procedures.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
The Student Union of San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self- disclose.
Background Check and Fingerprinting
Student Union employees are required to undergo and completed a successful background check that includes verification of employment and education, as well as a check of criminal records for employment. Candidates for positions where the employee will come in regular contact with minors and cash management will be required to be fingerprinted. This policy includes emergency hires and may also be applicable to volunteers depending on the work they will be doing.
In some cases the background check will include a credit check and/or a Department of Motor Vehicles check, as well as a check of licenses and certificates when applicable. All background checks are conducted through the Student Union third-party vendor, Accurate Background
California State University (CSU) Learning & Development
Within the first month, all employees are required to complete the following compliance online training sessions through CSULearn, the University's employee training platform. Employees will be enrolled in the training soon after their appointment is processed and will be notified via email from CSULearn@sjsu.edu.
- Injury and Illness Prevention Program
- Discrimination and Harassment for Supervisors/Non-Supervisors
- Gender Equity and Title IX Prevention Program (Title IX)
- Data Security and FERPA
- Mandated Reporters of Child Abuse
California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act
All Student Union at San Jose State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.